[horde] horde replacement

Andreas Mauser andreas at mauser.info
Mon Mar 5 21:30:29 UTC 2012

Hi,

----- Nachricht von Eric Jon Rostetter
<eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu> ---------
   Datum: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 15:13:05 -0600
     Von: Eric Jon Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>
Betreff: Re: [horde] horde replacement
      An: horde at lists.horde.org

> Quoting Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>:
>

>> do not speak, try it yourself
>
> I have.  It works, for myself.  I don't use it though, since it
> turns out to be much easier to use via pear (and before that,
> via cvs).
>
>> if it taks more than 10 minutes each week it is bloatd and
>> unuseable while the configuraton of roundcube takes 5 minutes
>> at all,
>
> If you really think that 5 minutes versus 10 minutes is that big of
> a deal, than I am glad you are not my admin!
>
>> it is MUCH faster,
>
> Perhaps, I don't know.
>
>> has a much more userfriendly interface
>
> Subjective, and doesn't matter if the functionality isn't comparable.
>
>> and finally the only point for horde years ago was that it was
>> better han phpLyMail and roundcube did not exist
>
> Well, that may have been your only point, but certainly not mine.
>
> I've looked at Horde and Roundcube repeated over the years, and always
> stay with Horde.  Your milage may vary.
>
>> weel there are other horde-components 1 out of 10000 users
>> are really needs - their value can not compare the waste of
>> time with Horde4
>
> Depends on your user base.  Maybe that is true for your user base. Not
> so for all user bases.  I bet things in Horde you find rarely or never
> needed are critical to other user bases (like mine).

To have a lightweight word in that.

I like Horde 4. I tried some months ago and found it really unusable.
In fact I didnt understand this Pear thing and.. I left it alone for a while.

Now, my old operating system is not getting security fixes anymore, so
I decided to have another look at H4 and got angry a lot - because I
still didnt understand this Pear thing.

So, when I already had to upgrade my OS i also decided to work with
the new H4 and came back to this mailing list where I got very good
support in the past as I tried to bring my H3 to life - which I did.

The Horde guys and the Horde users in here are very helpful and I am
sure they thought about the future of software implementations, in a
way which is used along the way today - yes, not all, but growing.

After I got a HowTo I also understood the Pear stuff (mostly, I feel)
but still having understanding problems how it all fits together.
Nothing is perfect and I have seen their points and your points. I
also have server farms with different software to maintain, but I am
willing to learn. Its not pressed upon us to use Horde further, but,
hey, before I came to use Horde as my productive system I tried nearly
all of the webmail systems. Small, large, yes, also Roundcube I tried
and I liked it.

But according to my needs the decision fell on Horde so I had to learn
how to use it. I worked 2 weeks going into that new stuff and today I
have a nearly full working Horde with all the functionality 'I' need.
Ok, I have not been on RPC at the moment but (Mike) we will come to
that I feel :)

And I am sure I will be helped inside this list as I had been helped
here in the past.

If you dont want Horde anymore, its your own choice. But consider all
the given opinions and then make your choice to get your prefered
webmail/groupware to work.

By the way, Horde developers, I still miss the Horde messenger. You
dont want to implement a messenger in Horde, do you? I would really
appreciate that, even if you give us a beta.

Kind regards and happy baking,
Andreas