[horde] A horde messenger Re: horde replacement

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Tue Mar 6 07:35:03 UTC 2012

> By the way, Horde developers, I still miss the Horde messenger. You dont
> want to implement a messenger in Horde, do you? I would really
> appreciate that, even if you give us a beta.

What do you mean by messenger? Something like a chat application?
I don't see that soon. I think there was some alpha in horde3/incubator
but I don't remember the name.

In another language/framework/environment we used xmpp (jabber) for
debugging, as a part of a die handler and for certain types of alerts.

I have looked around, there is only one PHP XMPP library I found and
it's been unmaintained for years. We probably would have to implement
parts of the protocol for one-shot jabber messages to rooms or users.
There is more stuff for IRC but it's also unmaintained and mostly PHP4
stuff.

Sorry, I don't see this chat client coming in the near future but maybe
you want to wrap some java chat into a minimum horde app for automatic
auth. I could help with that.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer