[horde] Ansel - Some Images stay grey

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Mar 5 22:56:19 UTC 2012

Quoting Andreas Mauser <andreas at mauser.info>:

> May I ask at last how you mean 'horribly inefficient'?
> Do you mean it that the images uploaded should be considered to be
> small, or at least not to large so that they grow the DB into
> enternity?

Perhaps I'm exaggerating things a bit.

SQL databases, in general, are not going to be the best choice for
bulk storage of large blobs of binary data. It's simply not how they
are optimized.

Specifically for Ansel; Let's say you upload a (potentially very
large) original image - that image is stored. It's possible that Ansel
will generate, and store, up to about half a dozen other images for
this original image for thumbnails of different sizes and styles,
screen-sized images, "stacked" images etc... Granted, these are all
much smaller than the original but it still increases the storage
space required for each image. Of course, YMMV.
--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org