[horde] A horde messenger Re: horde replacement

Andreas Mauser andreas at mauser.info
Tue Mar 6 07:44:05 UTC 2012

Hi,

----- Nachricht von Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de> ---------
   Datum: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 08:35:03 +0100
     Von: Ralf Lang <lang at b1-systems.de>
Betreff: [horde] A horde messenger Re:  horde replacement
      An: horde at lists.horde.org

>> By the way, Horde developers, I still miss the Horde messenger. You dont
>> want to implement a messenger in Horde, do you? I would really
>> appreciate that, even if you give us a beta.
>>

> What do you mean by messenger? Something like a chat application?
> I don't see that soon. I think there was some alpha in
> horde3/incubator but I don't remember the name.

Yes, a small chat application inside Horde. There are some Groupware
outside having such chat application and I miss such in Horde.

> In another language/framework/environment we used xmpp (jabber) for
> debugging, as a part of a die handler and for certain types of alerts.
>
> I have looked around, there is only one PHP XMPP library I found and
> it's been unmaintained for years. We probably would have to
> implement parts of the protocol for one-shot jabber messages to
> rooms or users. There is more stuff for IRC but it's also
> unmaintained and mostly PHP4 stuff.

But wouldn't it be an easy task to implement e.g. some jabber or such
into Horde? I mean, Horde is already there, so the base of all is
already there, and the chat protocols are already there. It would be
so practical just drop a message to someone else when one sees the
other online.

> Sorry, I don't see this chat client coming in the near future but
> maybe you want to wrap some java chat into a minimum horde app for
> automatic auth. I could help with that.

I run a cgiirc in parallel but I dont know how to implement it into a
Horde app. Also I think about when I open the cgiirc page its more or
less a bigger page than I am used to from a chat client, you know, a
small window with buddies in there.

Andreas