[horde] Kronolith categories

Andreas Mauser andreas at mauser.info
Wed Mar 7 14:51:04 UTC 2012

Hi,

----- Nachricht von Stephan Kleber <stephan at admin.nabira.de> ---------
   Datum: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 13:38:55 +0100
     Von: Stephan Kleber <stephan at admin.nabira.de>
Betreff: Re: [horde] Kronolith categories
      An: horde at lists.horde.org

>> Colors are now per-calendar. This has been discussed multiple times on
>> the list. You can use different "category" or "team" calendars if you
>> need colored events.
>
> Hi all,
>
> I asked about this a long time ago and was rejected for performance
> issues with the tagging system.
>
> I know I am unnerving, but since this is requested one more time I think
> it would be reasonable to discuss about some sensible way to implement
> colored tags. Colored calendars is dissatisfatory since maintaining 30
> or 40 calendars just because of colors is crazy and is absolutely not
> feasible regarding syncing.

I am absolutely with you!!
We also dont want to have 10 or more calendard just because of to have
colors again, thats not a good idea. Also I already ask how it is with
synching. Today I did my first successful sync, now, what would I have
to do if I create 10 colored calendars and want them to sync with my
Blackberry?

> May there even be REMOTELY (say: including sponsoring) a possiblilty to
> modify the tagging system in a way to support colored tags for the next
> major release?

That I wish at 'least'.

> And about searching for events by tags: I know the dynamic views search
> function includes tags. But I would like to search specificly for events
> with a certain tag.

To be practical, and also hoping that the non-dynamic view will not
just vanish in the future, I would like to have a search for tags also
in the normal view search, please.

> In my eyes the new tagging system by far is not as helpful as the old
> categories. I understand the general idea of a Horde-wide tagging system
> and fully back the idea, but without colors and search this is a
> stepback in my eyes.

You already have seen that I am also adaptable and try to figure out
how we can use Horde practically in the future. But I also support the
wish for 'kind of' categories, even if you Tag items, I need a proper
search for it and colors are extremely helpful, indeed.
I am still aware of the performance hit.

> From my point of view I merely want to keep this issue im memory, since
> I arranged things for me with the limited tagging functionality at the
> moment. I don't want something to be done ASAP but think this should not
> disappear from the radar, for Horde's sake.

Please think about it. We had so much practicality in H3 regarding
this topic, and I dont want to lose this practicability. Definitely not.

I would also take any workaround to get that back.

Andreas.