[horde] grandchild failed in cron

Andreas Mauser andreas at mauser.info
Tue Apr 17 21:24:31 UTC 2012

Hi,

----- Nachricht von Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt> ---------
   Datum: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 23:49:06 +0300
     Von: Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt>
Betreff: Re: [horde] grandchild failed in cron
      An: horde at lists.horde.org

> Hi,
>
> Andreas Mauser <andreas at mauser.info> rašė:
>
>> Ok, after some testing I disabled any memcaching in Horde, and I
>> uninstalled memcached.
>> As Cache System I choose 'Store data in filesystem'.
>> I deleted all files out of the cache directory /var/www/horde-cache
>> which I set in Horde, then I rebootet the server, to make sure it
>> all works.
>>
>> After a reboot I logged into Horde and was able to clear the cache
>> on the console.
>> After a while, lets say 5-10 minutes I run this command:
>>
>> root at webster:~ # php -d
>> include_path=/var/www/mauser.info/mailoffice/pear/php
>> /var/www/mauser.info/mailoffice/pear/horde-clear-cache
>>
>> PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function setObs() on a
>> non-object in
>> /var/www/mauser.info/mailoffice/pear/php/Horde/Perms/Sql.php on
>> line 130
>>
>> root at webster:~ # rm -rf /var/www/horde-cache/*
>>
>> root at webster:~ # php -d
>> include_path=/var/www/mauser.info/mailoffice/pear/php
>> /var/www/mauser.info/mailoffice/pear/horde-clear-cache
>> Are you sure you want to expire all cached data?
>>    (y) Yes
>>    (n) No
>>
>> Ihre Auswahl [n]: y
>> [   OK   ] Cache data cleared.
>>
>> root at webster:~ # /usr/bin/php -d
>> include_path=/var/www/mauser.info/mailoffice/pear/php/
>> /var/www/mauser.info/mailoffice/pear/horde-alarms
>> root at webster:~ #
>>
>> So if I use memcache or local files, after a while I get the
>> grandchild error.
>> As it works for a while I assume the problem must be somewhere in
>> (my) Horde.
>>
>> Can someone please look into that again?
>
> This just confirms what Jan said earlier. Your cache becomes
> corrupted for some strange reason.
>
> My last shot to the sky would be: do you happen to run multiple
> copies of Horde using the same cache folder? If not then you need to
> debug this on your own PHP line by line. As I cannot reproduce it on
> my systems (my Horde cache is using /tmp folder).

But what is the mechanism behind these file based cache?
And how can the cache become corrupted?
Maybe you can tell some of the most usual reasons for that, so I can
have a closer look?

My cache folder is

drwxr-xr-x  2 www-data www-data  12K 17. Apr 23:21 horde-cache

Maybe you have some more hints.
During the following days I will set up a CentOS6 box, do a plain
installation of LAMP and Horde and move in the DB and the files from
/var/www/horde-tmp which I use for Ansel as suggested. I'll let you
know the result.

Andreas