[horde] File Sync and Sharing Services

Simon Brereton simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 15:51:44 UTC 2012

On 7 June 2012 01:28, Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at horde.org> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 06.06.2012, 10:08 -0400 schrieb Simon Brereton:
>> Hi
>>
>> I wonder if the Horde team have considered a module like OwnCloud or
>> SparkleShare.  Gollem is great, but there is a fair amount of manual
>> effort involved and (as far as I know) sharing is only possible with
>> specified users, whereas Dropbox, Google Drive, etc all allow sharing
>> with one time or repeat-use URLs.
>
> These type of URLs exist for the message attachments in the mailer and I
> guess they should not be too hard to add to Gollem. Horde 5 should also
> offer better sharing within Gollem. Jan could comment on that. I don't
> know the exact scope of the changes. After the Horde 5 release we will
> also start to work on WebDAV, CardDAV, CalDAV server capabilities. So
> this should provide some of the central features you also get with
> owncloud.
>
> Personally I'd also be interested into taking a closer look on how one
> could improve integration of both projects. The users one the ownCloud
> list ask for a mailer within ownCloud every once in a while. At the same
> time we might benefit from some of their file handling apps. ownCloud
> also excels in development speed, their release cycle and PR. If Horde
> could be easily integrated into their stack I think we might benefit
> from that.

I'm not sure they have better PR or that their development speed is a
plus (from what I read on the mailing list, 4.0.0 was a disaster).

But yes, they seem to imply adding a web app like Horde shouldn't be
difficult.  However, as you point out, we already have the links
available to imp so integrating with the gollem shouldn't be
difficult.  The trick (or what's missing from gollem) is to have a
drag-n-drop interface, easy sync with desktop folders, robust sharing
options (public, limited by URL, limited by login, private), version
controls (i.e. restore a version overwritten by a sync, etc.) and
streaming options.  Kronolith and turba already take care of the
calendar/addressbook sync (but I imagine the Card/CalDev will improve
that anyway).

Simon