[horde] Gettting Failed FTP Logins After Setting Up IOS ActiveSync Device

Brent impuser at bitrealm.com
Thu Jun 7 15:46:30 UTC 2012

Using all the latest releases, I have setup an IOS phone using
ActiveSync.  After setting it up, I notice my /var/log/secure filling
up with failed FTP login attemps:

Jun  7 08:08:04 localhost vsftpd[27746]: pam_unix(vsftpd:auth):
authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=ftp ruser=MYUSERNAME
rhost=localhost.localdomain  user=MYUSERNAME

I've replaced my real username with MYUSERNAME.

Now, I do have gollem installed, but that works fine in Horde as does
ingo, which also uses ftp to upload/check the users .procmailrc file.

I have the phone set to:

Fetch New Data:   Push  (on the IOS device)

What's happening here?  I added another user and started getting
failed ftp login attemps, but it's from localhost?  I don't quite
understand what is causing the failed ftp logins, but it seems to be
clearly related to adding an ActiveSync IOS device.

ActiveSync is quite nice for the calendar and contacts, it should be
extended for mail too.  That way the admins don't have to setup
imap/smtp as a separate account on their phones.

brent

Using:

Address Book (turba) 3.0.14
Calendar Calendar (kronolith) 3.0.17