[horde] Horde5 Whitescreen

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed Jul 11 14:15:11 UTC 2012

Hi,

> There is a difference between a required dependency and an
> optional dependency. Pear/DB is not *required* for Horde to
> function. There are features in Horde - such as the METAR weather
> block - that have external dependencies. (In this case, it's
> dependent on PEAR/Services_Weather and THAT, in turn, has an
> optional dependency on PEAR/DB.
>

>> It's conceivable - relating to Jan's point - that pear/DB isn't
>> required because I imagine there are Horde installs out there
>> with no DB backend (although I can't imagine it's many).
>
> No. PEAR/DB has *nothing* to do with Horde running a database or
> not. That's Horde_Db. The only reason we use Pear/DB is because of
> other PEAR libraries that use it (Services_Weather) and we have no
> control over their codebase.
>
> In
>> addition, I don't see it in any of the errors/warnings I had when
>> I installed Horde..
>
> Because it's not an error. You didn't install any packages that
> require it. Note the line that pear/Services_Weather was not
> installed.
>
> On that note - how serious is the warning:
>> Package "pear.horde.org/Horde_Core" dependency
>> "pear.horde.org/Horde_ElasticSearch" has no releases
>
> Not serious at all. There is currently no code in Horde that uses
> this.

I think all has been said by now on how Pear/DB is not required for
horde. But that doesn't address one problem: Admins cannot easily
prevent users from using specific portal blocks. (They could delete
them after each and every update though).

Should portal blocks with special requirements be delivered as
separate pear packages?

- --
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer