[horde] Howto change a username and preserve data

Brent impuser at bitrealm.com
Wed Sep 12 20:26:55 UTC 2012

> Zitat von Brent <impuser at bitrealm.com>:
>
>> Need to change a username from something like alphadog to alphacat,
>> want to retain all their customizations, calendar, contacts, tasks,
>> etc.  Using imp backend on imap.  on the OS-side, easy to change
>> the login info, but don't see a way in the UI for horde.  Also have
>> an activesync thing setup, so I know they'll need to re-type their
>> username on their phone.  Anything else?
>>
>> I assume some sort of sql command then?
>
> No, this is not supported, because there might be cross-references
> to the user name that cannot be easily replaced by a simple command,
> e.g. permissions.
>
> You could use user name hooks though, to translate from the old to
> the new name, keeping the old name internally for horde, and the new
> one for authentication etc.

Hmmm, people get married and change their names, so I think Horde should
provide some way to change their names and have all their customizations,
address books, filters, shared calendars, etc all migrate.

Working on a bunch of sql commands.  I see one on wiki.horde.org, but it
is missing some things I've found in digging through the schema and tables.

It'd be nicer if Horde used some sort of unique-id and not the real username
for storing this stuff.  Many relational db stuff works this way, so one can
easily change the display values without changing the unique-id that Horde
uses to manage the user.  Windows uses SID that doesn't care what the username
or display name is, the SID is unique for that user.

In the end, I might just have to backup their address book/contacts, tasks,
calendar, filters, and jot down their preference settings for each app.

brent