[horde] Howto change a username and preserve data

Simon Brereton simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 03:16:03 UTC 2012

On Sep 12, 2012 4:27 PM, "Brent" <impuser at bitrealm.com> wrote:

>> Zitat von Brent <impuser at bitrealm.com>:
>>
>>> Need to change a username from something like alphadog to alphacat,
want to retain all their customizations, calendar, contacts, tasks, etc.
 Using imp backend on imap.  on the OS-side, easy to change the login info,
but don't see a way in the UI for horde.  Also have an activesync thing
setup, so I know they'll need to re-type their username on their phone.
 Anything else?

>>> I assume some sort of sql command then?
>>

>> No, this is not supported, because there might be cross-references to
the user name that cannot be easily replaced by a simple command, e.g.
permissions.

>> You could use user name hooks though, to translate from the old to the
new name, keeping the old name internally for horde, and the new one for
authentication etc.

> Hmmm, people get married and change their names, so I think Horde should
> provide some way to change their names and have all their customizations,
> address books, filters, shared calendars, etc all migrate.
>
> Working on a bunch of sql commands.  I see one on wiki.horde.org, but it
> is missing some things I've found in digging through the schema and
tables.

> It'd be nicer if Horde used some sort of unique-id and not the real
username
> for storing this stuff.  Many relational db stuff works this way, so one
can
> easily change the display values without changing the unique-id that Horde
> uses to manage the user.  Windows uses SID that doesn't care what the
username
> or display name is, the SID is unique for that user.

Not a bad approach..  Exchange, however, does keep the username the same.
So, you'd continue to login with user.maiden even though emails are sent
and received from user.married - this is analogous to what Jan is
suggesting.