[horde] ActiveSync: E-Mails show up several times on Android

ich at sebmeyer.de ich at sebmeyer.de
Mon Oct 22 16:52:26 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am running Horde5 with Horde_ActiveSync-2.0.0beta4 on a fresh horde
install (both pear packages and database).
The client is a Galaxy S2/Android with a CyanogenMod10 Nightly Build
(at most a week old), reported as "Android/4.1.2-EAS-1.3" by Horde.
This is the first time I use both Horde5 and ActiveSync, so I have no
experience with versions prior to 2.0.4beta4.
However, I needed to setup Horde multiple times, as I messed up some
pear stuff. This included adding and removing my "exchange" account on
my mobile several times, but the problem I describe in this mail did
occur after using the final setup for a few hours.

Ok, enough prelude...

The issue I am having are random emails which display multiple times
on the mobile.
It started with double mails, but later some mails are on the
smartphone three to five times. But not all mails are affected. Maybe
(or maybe not - I didn't keep track of the order of mails and spam I
removed) there were some mails in between which I marked for deletion
and later purged.

See the screenshot at
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18050942/Screenshot_2012-10-22-18-04-16.png
The two mails in that screenshot should be there only once, but the
AWS Newsletter is there 3 times, and my Test mail even 5 times :(
In IMP and IMAP (checked against Roundcube) the AWS mail is found only once.

BUT the Test mail I sent myself [from the mobile] is found TWO times
in my Inbox (in IMP and IMAP) - with the same "Message-ID" header
field. I only saw this quite recently, so I can't tell whether it's
been there ever since I sent it this morning or just since a few
minutes. I am quite sure that IMP/ActiveSync produced that error, as I
didn't use any other mail client until after noticing the double test
mail.
As far as I can see this is the only double mail actually found in
IMAP, so that might be a different (AS related) issue.

All I did was the usual e-mail usage - replying to mails and marking
them as deleted both in Horde and on the mobile (sometimes my phones
Edge/HSDPA internet connection wasn't stable), and purging mails
marked for deletion in Horde (androids mail client either can't do
that or I haven't found that function, yet).

I am not sure how to get (meaningful) debug for that issue, but if
someone gives me a pointer I can try to get some output related to
that problem.
Or maybe I overlooked something in the adb logcat & horde activesync
debug outputs?
Any ideas for trials? Or maybe this is a known bug and everything will
be fine with the next update? :)

Thanks,
Sebastian

P.S.: Creating an account for a developer and giving access to the
relevant log files is no problem. Just in case you want to run some
more complicated trials ;-)

P.P.S.: Horde5 looks pretty nice, I am looking forward to the first
stable release :) Thanks for the effort and good work!