[horde] ActiveSync: E-Mails show up several times on Android

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Oct 22 20:24:44 UTC 2012

Quoting ich at sebmeyer.de:

> Hi,
>
> I am running Horde5 with Horde_ActiveSync-2.0.0beta4 on a fresh
> horde install (both pear packages and database).
> The client is a Galaxy S2/Android with a CyanogenMod10 Nightly Build
> (at most a week old), reported as "Android/4.1.2-EAS-1.3" by Horde.
> This is the first time I use both Horde5 and ActiveSync, so I have
> no experience with versions prior to 2.0.4beta4.
> However, I needed to setup Horde multiple times, as I messed up some
> pear stuff. This included adding and removing my "exchange" account
> on my mobile several times, but the problem I describe in this mail
> did occur after using the final setup for a few hours.
>
> Ok, enough prelude...
>
> The issue I am having are random emails which display multiple times
> on the mobile.
> It started with double mails, but later some mails are on the
> smartphone three to five times. But not all mails are affected.
> Maybe (or maybe not - I didn't keep track of the order of mails and
> spam I removed) there were some mails in between which I marked for
> deletion and later purged.
>
> See the screenshot at
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18050942/Screenshot_2012-10-22-18-04-16.png
> The two mails in that screenshot should be there only once, but the
> AWS Newsletter is there 3 times, and my Test mail even 5 times :(
> In IMP and IMAP (checked against Roundcube) the AWS mail is found only once.
>
> BUT the Test mail I sent myself [from the mobile] is found TWO times
> in my Inbox (in IMP and IMAP) - with the same "Message-ID" header
> field. I only saw this quite recently, so I can't tell whether it's
> been there ever since I sent it this morning or just since a few
> minutes. I am quite sure that IMP/ActiveSync produced that error, as
> I didn't use any other mail client until after noticing the double
> test mail.
> As far as I can see this is the only double mail actually found in
> IMAP, so that might be a different (AS related) issue.
>
> All I did was the usual e-mail usage - replying to mails and marking
> them as deleted both in Horde and on the mobile (sometimes my phones
> Edge/HSDPA internet connection wasn't stable), and purging mails
> marked for deletion in Horde (androids mail client either can't do
> that or I haven't found that function, yet).
>
> I am not sure how to get (meaningful) debug for that issue, but if
> someone gives me a pointer I can try to get some output related to
> that problem.
> Or maybe I overlooked something in the adb logcat & horde activesync
> debug outputs?
> Any ideas for trials? Or maybe this is a known bug and everything
> will be fine with the next update? :)
>
> Thanks,
> Sebastian

This is one problem that I've actually *never* seen. Even during the
initial development. To further track down where/why this is happening
we will need both the sync log and the imap log.

See http://wiki.horde.org/ActiveSync for how to enable the synclog.
The imap log is enabled by editing imp/config/backends[.local].php

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org