[horde] Use of the HORDE product : GNU/GPL conformity case ?

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Fri Oct 26 08:26:46 UTC 2012

Zitat von Bernard TREMBLAY <bty-opendev.horde at trebly.net>:

> Hi,
>
> 	Do the fact, that a provider of internet services to use your product
> as one of the goodies into a pack, but this with the suppression of some
> important functions as "transmit" email without any change of help file
> nor version number (i.e. 3.3.5 modified... restricted...), is according
> to GNU/GPL license in your opinion ?
> 	In my opinion not : this non conformity with original product
> functionalities, can be confused by user with a bad achievement of the
> product or with bugs. Then the time lost by the user of the modified
> version with restrictions, which can be followed by errors done into his
> own specifications (using HORDE product knowledge in conformity with
> version number) transmitted to his own clients can create damages to the
> client and to the "name" of HORDE , is it not true ? GNU/GPL does not
> mean do "what you want" with our sources".

It depends. Does he distribute the modified software, or does he only
offer it as a service. As a service he can modify the code like he
wants, limiting features to his users etc.
If he distributes or even sells the modified Horde version as a part
of his product, he can still do so, but has to disclose the modified
source code to the public.

IANAL
--
Jan Schneider