[horde] Problem with umlauts in signature

Jens Grüntjes jens.gruentjes at ebira.de
Tue Nov 6 09:15:12 UTC 2012

Zitat von Jens Grüntjes <jens.gruentjes at ebira.de>:

> Hello list,
>
> after upgrading from Horde 4.x to Horde 5.0.0 and Imp 6.0.0 the
> signature of a colleague of mine looks strange concerning german
> umlauts. The signature should be
>
> Ebert + Grüntjes GbR
> Michael Ebert, Jens Grüntjes
>
> but in a mail from my colleague this appears in my Inbox (as well as
> in her sent-mail folder) as
>
> Ebert + Grüntjes GbR
> Michael Ebert, Jens Grüntjes
>
> It looks like the ü is wrongly encoded (like a UTF-8 character shown
> in latin1). In the Preferences the ü is shown correctly. My
> colleague uses Windows 7 and tried to change the signature in
> Firefox 16 and IE 9 but no change. I uses almost the same signature
> but mine is shown correctly as well in Inbox as in sent-mail. I use
> Linux and Firefox 16.
>
> Can somebody help me?
> --
> Viele Grüße
> Jens

After further debugging I found out that a mail from the mentioned
colleague seems to be in ISO-8859-1 whereas my mails are UTF-8. You
can see that in the mail-source:

Source of colleague's mail:

From: User XXXXX <user.xxxxx at ebira.de>
To: Jens =?iso-8859-1?b?R3L8bnRqZXM=?= <jens.gruentjes at ebira.de>
Subject: test

--
Ebert + Grüntjes GbR
Michael Ebert, Jens Grüntjes

Source of my mail:
From: Jens =?utf-8?b?R3LDvG50amVz?= <jens.gruentjes at ebira.de>
To: User XXXXX <user.xxxxx at ebira.de>

--
Jens Grüntjes

Ebert + Grüntjes GbR
Michael Ebert, Jens Grüntjes

In Jan's announcement of Horde Groupware Webmail Edition 5.0.0 in the
section "General changes" I find a bullet point saying "* Default to
UTF-8 for all e-mail messages." Now I'm desperately seeking in the
user's preferences where to change from the old ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8.
Or should that be done automagically during the upgrade?

--
Viele Grüße
Jens