[horde] Horde 4 Upgrade - just clarification

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Tue Nov 6 13:25:46 UTC 2012

Am 06.11.2012 13:32, schrieb ANANT S ATHAVALE:
> ----- Message from jan at horde.org --------- Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012
> 10:58:29 +0100 From: Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org> Subject: Re:
> [horde] Horde 4 Upgrade - just clarification To:
> horde at lists.horde.org
>

>> Zitat von ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>:
>>
>>> Dear List,
>>>
>>> I am assuming a case when imp 5.0.24 is released (may be for
>>> security), how will I upgrade to it, when pear.horde.org has
>>> IMP 6.0.0 also as stable version.
>>>
>>> Will this command work: pear upgarde -a -B horde/imp-5.0.24,
>>> which in turn will upgrade its pre-requisites?
>>
>> You might need to do this individually for all packages, i.e.
>> without the -a -B arguments, but yes, that *should* work. Unless
>> the PEAR installer screws up again. -- Jan Schneider The Horde
>> Project http://www.horde.org/
>
> Is it right to ask from a end user point of view, please maintain 2
> pear servers.  First one for H4 and second one for H4&H5 together.
> I may be asking too much from developers, but, it may ease the
> burden for end user.
>
> As I was looking at the demo.horde.org, the user interface is
> completely different from the existing H4.  I may have to first
> install and try out Horde 5 before releasing it to the users.
> Meanwhile, our management has given me go ahead with H4.  But,
> having a single pear server, what is the easiest way to install H4.
> I want to start afresh on a new server (having good
> configuration).
>
> I am not sure, whether such requirements will come to some more
> users. But, I have a feeling, users may have patching problems with
> H4 as and when something is upgraded for H4 for either to provide a
> feature or to solve a security issue.
>
> I think, nobody will directly venture into H5 for production
> purpose, and hence, there should be an easy way to install H4.
>
> These are just my suggestions/anticipated problems.
>
> Expecting some comments from user community as well as developer
> community.
>
> Regards, Anant.

If you want to apply local patches against the horde codebase and
maintain updates/bugfixes, then you will probably need to maintain
your own git repository (which merges custom patches) or distribution
specific custom rpm/debs.

There are public RPMs for horde4 on obs though I will not
maintain/update them once I have packages for horde5.

- --
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer
Tel.: +49-170-6381563