[horde] Horde 4 Upgrade - just clarification

ANANT S ATHAVALE asa at isac.gov.in
Tue Nov 6 12:32:44 UTC 2012

----- Message from jan at horde.org ---------
     Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 10:58:29 +0100
     From: Jan Schneider <jan at horde.org>
  Subject: Re: [horde] Horde 4 Upgrade - just clarification
       To: horde at lists.horde.org

> Zitat von ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>:
>
>> Dear List,
>>
>> I am assuming a case when imp 5.0.24 is released (may be for
>> security), how will I upgrade to it, when pear.horde.org has IMP
>> 6.0.0 also as stable version.
>>
>> Will this command work: pear upgarde -a -B horde/imp-5.0.24, which
>> in turn will upgrade its pre-requisites?
>
> You might need to do this individually for all packages, i.e.
> without the -a -B arguments, but yes, that *should* work. Unless the
> PEAR installer screws up again.
> --
> Jan Schneider
> The Horde Project
> http://www.horde.org/

Is it right to ask from a end user point of view, please maintain 2
pear servers.  First one for H4 and second one for H4&H5 together.  I
may be asking too much from developers, but, it may ease the burden
for end user.

As I was looking at the demo.horde.org, the user interface is
completely different from the existing H4.  I may have to first
install and try out Horde 5 before releasing it to the users.
Meanwhile, our management has given me go ahead with H4.  But, having
a single pear server, what is the easiest way to install H4.  I want
to start afresh on a new server (having good configuration).

I am not sure, whether such requirements will come to some more users.
  But, I have a feeling, users may have patching problems with H4 as
and when something is upgraded for H4 for either to provide a feature
or to solve a security issue.

I think, nobody will directly venture into H5 for production purpose,
and hence, there should be an easy way to install H4.

These are just my suggestions/anticipated problems.

Expecting some comments from user community as well as developer community.

Regards,
Anant.

----- End message from jan at horde.org -----

            Anant