[horde] H5 ActiveSync / Samsung Galaxy S3: mapping for home/work email addresses

rbankhead robin.bankhead at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 20:04:55 UTC 2012

Hello,

I seek some advice on reconfiguring Turba H5 (recently upgraded from H4) to
support the multiple email addresses supported by the Contacts app on
Samsung Galaxy S3. I have seen the wiki page on this but as it's a version
up and there are some complications I'd welcome some guidance.

On the S3 I can define Home and Work email addresses for a contact, but it
seems to ignore that distinction when syncing: it simply sends the two
addresses as Email1Address and Email2Address according to the order in which
they were added to the contact.  On the vanilla Turba setup, this means only
the first of the two (be it work or home) gets saved.

When I add an email address to a contact in vanilla Turba (so simply "email"
field), it syncs this as Email1Address which the phone then shows as Home
email.

So there's an asymmetry there. If I hack Turba to support two email fields,
it appears that which field a phone-originating address ends up in will rest
solely with whether it's the first or second one entered on the phone.  I
guess that Turba-originating contacts might fare better, in that -- if I
read the docs right and nothing has changed since H4 -- it will always send
e.g. Home email as Email1Address and Work email as Email2Address if those
are the mappings I define.

Is that a correct assumption? The Email*Address entities aren't specifically
named in the wiki item, so I'm not clear how Turba would allocate them when
sending outgoing sync data.

On top of this, I'd also like to ask what steps if any I need to take to
avoid trouble when changing the Turba config, e.g. should I remove and
reprovision the phone entirely?

Thanks for any advice,
Robin Bankhead