[horde] H5 ActiveSync / Samsung Galaxy S3: mapping for home/work email addresses

rbankhead robin.bankhead at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 12:35:39 UTC 2012

Jan, thanks for the link. I did try grepping for those strings but I didn't
think to make it case-insensitive...!

So these are the field names I *have* to use in order for Turba and
ActiveSync to use them (unless I start hacking Driver.php, which probably
isn't a good idea in the wider picture). So if the phone sends 2 addresses,
they will end up as "email" and "homeEmail" in Turba every time. If I add
"homeEmail" and "workEmail" and remove the "email" field, then it looks that
the first address sent will be ignored (as the second is currently) because
there's nowhere for "Email1Address" to go.

I guess that leaves me with changing just the field labels to email ->
"Email 1", homeEmail -> "Email 2" and ignoring the work/home assignments the
phone decides to give them. (If every contact had both home and work email
addresses, or all had a particular one of the two, I could keep them
equivalent; but as a contact may have only a work or only a home email, the
name they're transmitted under -- at least in the phone -> server direction
-- can't be kept consistent across all contacts.)

An unfortunate limitation in the protocol (why role-assignments for phone
numbers but not emails?), but can't be helped, and I imagine that
flexibility has its benefits elsewhere (perhaps).

I take it that I should reprovision the phone after making these changes? I
can only imagine how EAS might misbehave if I don't...

Thanks,
Robin