[horde] Horde_Imap_Client-2.3.1 does not work

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Thu Dec 6 22:14:12 UTC 2012

Brent <impuser at bitrealm.com> rašė:

> Quoting Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu>:

>>> To clarify:
>>>
>>> It's one thing to be an API change that was made in a specific PHP
>>> version. This can be worked around and is known at the time the
>>> code is written.
>>>
>>> However, the present issue is entirely a PHP issue - not a
>>> Horde/IMP issue. The code added to Horde/IMP is 100% valid code
>>> according to the PHP 5.3 documentation.
>>>
>>> The problem is that people are relying on 2+ year old software.
>>> Distribution packaging may work for a user application.  It does
>>> not work for a package that contains a documented, final-word API,
>>> like PHP.
>>>
>>> Running a 2 year old programming language interpreter (+ security
>>> patches!) is not acceptable in the real world.  This is just
>>> another example.
>>
>> The odds of any non-developer compiling PHP are close to zero.
>>

> But you'll install a non-OS package (like Horde/IMP/etc) by hand?
>
> System administrators install Horde.  System Administrators know how to
> compile something like PHP.  Horde has become relatively easy to install
> nowadays, but it still takes someone with OS-level experience to support
> properly.  Any Sys Admin has had to deal with installing software in order
> to get other things to work properly.  It might be from a tarball, it might
> be from a SRPM or even non-standard .deb package.

It's not the question of if they can or not. Of course most of us can
compile and install software. And if we can't we would just Google for
clues. It's a question of WHY every admin on the planned should
perform the same tedious steps watching scrolling lines of codes on
the screen. Then everyone should test it and watch for
incompatibilies? When everything can be done in one place, e.i.
software developers should do this and prepare it for final
installation.

Remember, that Horde itself moved to PEAR for at least some of these reasons.

> It isn't hard.  Putting a machine on the internet with 2-year old software
> is asking to for trouble.

What trouble exactly?

--
   Best Regards,