[horde] Horde_Imap_Client-2.3.1 does not work

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Thu Dec 6 22:39:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012, Brent wrote:

> Quoting Andrew Morgan <morgan at orst.edu>:
>
>> On Thu, 6 Dec 2012, Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>>
>> The odds of any non-developer compiling PHP are close to zero.
>>

> But you'll install a non-OS package (like Horde/IMP/etc) by hand?

I used to!  It was somewhat painful to download all the tarballs or
patches, apply them, re-apply our local mods, test, and deploy to
production.  Now Horde has moved to Pear packages, which should definitely
simplify the installation and upgrade process.

> System administrators install Horde.  System Administrators know how to
> compile something like PHP.  Horde has become relatively easy to install
> nowadays, but it still takes someone with OS-level experience to support
> properly.  Any Sys Admin has had to deal with installing software in order
> to get other things to work properly.  It might be from a tarball, it might
> be from a SRPM or even non-standard .deb package.
>
> It isn't hard.  Putting a machine on the internet with 2-year old software
> is asking to for trouble.

I don't want to re-compile PHP on multiple servers every time there is a
new version of PHP.  I *can* do it, although it also means installing a
lot of development packages, making sure I get all the configure options
correct, etc.  It also means I need to compile other PHP modules, rather
than using distribution packages.

I don't see the problem using 2-year old software, assuming it has been
patched for security vulnerabilities.

 	Andy