[horde] Horde_Imap_Client-2.3.1 does not work

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Dec 6 22:48:05 UTC 2012

Quoting Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:

> Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> rašė:
>
>> Quoting Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:
>>
>>> To rephrase, if Horde developers have chosen PHP as a language,
>>> then they must obey the rules of the language. If it is buggy and
>>> breaks compatibility in ugly way, they must hack.
>>
>> Please read my original message: we DID obey the rules of the
>> language.  That's the problem.  You write perfectly valid PHP 5.3.0
>> code, and it isn't interpreted correctly due to a bug in the
>> interpreter.  WHICH WE HAVE NO WAY OF KNOWING (unless you are
>> arguing that we, as developers, have to read the 162KB changelog of
>> PHP 5 and glean from one line changelog entries that our code won't
>> work properly with a certain PHP version).
>
> I'm sorry if I offended you. What I wanted to say is that nobody
> blames that you (or any other developer) could know that. But if
> such situation arose, then it must not be forced upon administrators
> and users.

I'm not offended.  However, you did misstate what I had written so I
needed to clarify.  Let me try again.

The problem is that packaging PHP fails to address the dependencies
between PHP ***and the software that actually uses it***.  This isn't
just limited to PHP - it's true for all compilers distributed with a
system.  This is just as much an issue with something like gcc - it's
just that the issue isn't triggered in those contexts for various
reasons that are not worth going into.

If you are blindly using one of these distributions (e.g. Debian)
without understanding the consequences of your decision, you are not
doing your job as an admin.  If you are unwilling to compile PHP
yourself... there are PLENTY of distributions that use packaging that
aren't stuck on a several year old version of PHP.  Alternatively, I'm
sure you could find a repository that does provide updated versions of
PHP, eliminating the compiling hurdle.

And before I hear about "security": I can guarantee you that *ANY*
version of PHP released after the current packaged version is much
more secure than having non-core PHP package maintainers try to
cherry-pick security fixes out of the voluminous PHP commit stream
over the last 2 years.

michael