[horde] PHP version via distribution package

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Sun Jan 6 15:02:10 UTC 2013

Am 05.01.2013 20:51, schrieb Michael M Slusarz:
> Quoting Samuel Wolf <samuel at sheepflock.de>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> question after this comment in the bugreport [1].. "Versions of
>> PHP distributed via a package (i.e. Debian) is not acceptable."
>> ..horde need the current PHP version and horde do not support
>> distributed PHP package of Debian/CentOS/SuSE/RedHat?
>>
>> Or is there a distributed server os which horde support
>> (including distributed PHP package)?
>
> See: http://marc.info/?l=imp&m=135483412513123&w=2 and various
> other messages in that thread.
>
> The Debian PHP package is known to be broken.
>
> When it is stated that Horde 5 requires a version of PHP 5.3.0+,
> this means that we only use PHP features that are available as of
> PHP 5.3.0 (i.e. the PHP 5.3 API).  It DOES NOT mean that Horde is
> guaranteed to work bug-free with any particular version of PHP
> 5.3.x.
>
> PHP 5.3.3 is 2 1/2 years old (it was released in July 2010).  There
> have been ***17*** releases since then that have fixed thousand(s)
> of bugs (http://php.net/ChangeLog-5.php).  Running a server on PHP
> 5.3.3 makes zero sense.

I cannot talk about Debian PHP here, but generally, if a distribution
(enterprise or community) in its support lifecycle triggers a bug in
reasonable code (which runs on other feature-equivalent PHP versions),
there should be a bug report for the distribution PHP. Then the
distribution can either backport a fix or decide to do a minor/bugfix
upgrade as provided.

In general, Horde should run correctly on distribution PHP. It does so
on SLES11SP2 with updates (php53-*) and on openSUSE 12.2

I have not looked at the Debian bugtracker regarding Debian PHP.

- --
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer
Tel.: +49-170-6381563