[horde] Can't add Outlook meeting request to Kronolith

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Jan 10 00:47:11 UTC 2013

>> 1) The code is released under GPL.  However, the two most logical
>> places to put something like this (Horde and/or a framework
>> library) are released under LGPL.  So we'd have to do some annoying
>> packaging tricks to work around this.

[snip]

> Since the RFC does not specify that the TZID need to conform to any
> standard, nor does it state that the timezone rules specified need
> to actually match an existing valid OLSEN/TZDB timezone (which is
> the cause of this problem to begin with), we can't simply convert
> the provided timezone rules/offsets into a known TZID - we would
> have to store the entire VTIMEZONE component with the event data
> then EVERY time we need the event's time we would need to use the
> VTIMEZONE to run an algorithm to determine the current time we want.
> This would be a nightmare. So, option (2) is not desirable.
>
> Option (1) would be the least objectionable solution if we can work
> around the license issues.

Option (1) is even more worthless though, since TZID can be ANY string
- there is no guarantee the text corresponds to any known timezone
identifier.  So trying to do a Timezone -> TZDB translation *solely*
on the TZID string is absolutely NOT the correct solution.  At best,
it is a terrible lazy hack.

It may be a "nightmare", but the only 2 viable and correct options
appear to be:

1) Storing the timezone information with the event.
2) Mapping a timezone string -> Olsen/TZDB string based on the
timezone offsets contained within the VTIMEZONE.

michael