[horde] Can't add Outlook meeting request to Kronolith

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Thu Jan 10 00:31:54 UTC 2013

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:
>>
>>> 1) The code is released under GPL.  However, the two most logical
>>> places to put something like this (Horde and/or a framework
>>> library) are released under LGPL.  So we'd have to do some
>>> annoying packaging tricks to work around this.
>>

> [snip]
>
>> Since the RFC does not specify that the TZID need to conform to any
>> standard, nor does it state that the timezone rules specified need
>> to actually match an existing valid OLSEN/TZDB timezone (which is
>> the cause of this problem to begin with), we can't simply convert
>> the provided timezone rules/offsets into a known TZID - we would
>> have to store the entire VTIMEZONE component with the event data
>> then EVERY time we need the event's time we would need to use the
>> VTIMEZONE to run an algorithm to determine the current time we
>> want. This would be a nightmare. So, option (2) is not desirable.
>>
>> Option (1) would be the least objectionable solution if we can work
>> around the license issues.
>
> Option (1) is even more worthless though, since TZID can be ANY
> string - there is no guarantee the text corresponds to any known
> timezone identifier.  So trying to do a Timezone -> TZDB translation
> *solely* on the TZID string is absolutely NOT the correct solution.
> At best, it is a terrible lazy hack.
>
> It may be a "nightmare", but the only 2 viable and correct options
> appear to be:
>
> 1) Storing the timezone information with the event.

Not acceptable. See previous reply.

> 2) Mapping a timezone string -> Olsen/TZDB string based on the
> timezone offsets contained within the VTIMEZONE.

This is doable, but not foolproof. It's similar to what I do in
ActiveSync's timezone support. I would suggest a combination of the two:

Create a mapping as described in (1). Attempt to sniff out the correct
timezone based on offsets/transitions using the mapped OLSEN name as a
preferred result in the case of non-unique results. See
Horde_ActiveSync_Timezone for more information.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org