[horde] User name and email in top bar

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu Feb 7 06:24:39 UTC 2013

Quoting Oscar del Rio <delrio at mie.utoronto.ca>:

> Users may login to different accounts (e.g. their personal account
> and generic support accounts).  I found myself not knowing to which
> account I logged on while testing multiple accounts.

This seems like a fairly specific use-case limited to a small number
of users.  With the forthcoming ability to access multiple accounts
within a single IMP session, the need to differentiate between
accounts seems to become less important.

I don't disagree with the idea that we should make it more easily
configurable (or at least easily editable) to allow this change.  But
making it the default does not seem to be the correct solution, and
instituting a preference also seems dubious.

> In desktop email applications (thunderbird/outlook), the user would
> have the multiple accounts displayed in the sidebar, so you know to
> which account the current folder belongs to.

See above re: IMP's multiple account ability.  I am not a big fan of
thunderbird's model where the base account is also listed under a
separate tab.  Mainly because this model doesn't translate well to our
webmail model, where you have to login to the base account to even
access the application (vs. thunderbird where you can open up the
application without ever connecting to any account).

michael