[horde] New Kronolith appt w/no invitees sync to iOS, result in greyed item in iOS Calendar

Simon Wilson simon at simonandkate.net
Sat Feb 16 01:26:06 UTC 2013

----- Message from Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net> ---------
     Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 01:10:48 +0000
     From: Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>
  Subject: Re: [horde] New Kronolith appt w/no invitees sync to iOS,
result in greyed item in iOS Calendar
       To: horde at lists.horde.org

> ----- Message from Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net> ---------
>     Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 01:05:53 +0000
>     From: Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>
> Subject: [horde] New Kronolith appt w/no invitees sync to iOS, result in
> greyed item in iOS Calendar
>       To: "horde at lists.horde.org" <horde at lists.horde.org>
>
>> When I generate a new basic appointment with no attendees from Kronolith
>> 4.0.4, Horde 5.0.4, it generates an SQL entry with event_attendees as
>> a:0:{}. All good.
>>
>> That syncs as the following event:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>
>> So, still no attendees. All good still.
>>
>> iOS for some reason (love Apple!) tags the event with Invitees: (the
>> originating email account). Because of that, iOS Calendar shows the
>> event as Greyed out with a dashed border. Any event that I create on
>> Kronolith with no specified attendees syncs to iOS with the owner as an
>> attendee, and does not display correctly. If I add any attendee in a new
>> Kronolith appointment, it syncs with that Invitee, and displays fine.
>>
>> Google finds a few people with the problem, but no solution other than
>> remove the invitee, which fixes it. I did find a comment that iOS 6
>> (I've tried 6 and 6.1, no change) Calendar is more sensitive to "meeting
>> type" in the synced event - is that something that needs to be / can be
>> explicitly added to the event comms from Horde AS where there are no
>> invitees - is that a particular type of meeting / appointment in AS tags?
>>
>> This does not occur in Android - works fine, does not add an invitee,
>> and just displays as an attendee-less appointment. Adding an attendee in
>> Kronolith Android shows Organiser and Attendees.
>>
>> If you go into the event in iOS calendar, and remove the invitee, the
>> event then displays correctly. This syncs back to ActiveSync:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> That then syncs over to another iOS device on this account as this:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> But the other iOS device still shows the owner as an invitee, and
>> displays incorrectly.
>>
>> Any suggestions? This is affecting my wife's calendar particularly, as I
>> have just migrated all of her content into the new Horde 5 by import /
>> export in Kronolith, so it's pushed ALL of her appointments out to iOS
>> as greyed out... :-/
>>
>> "WAF" is dropping LOL...
>>
>> Cheers
>> Simon.
>>
>> --
>> Simon Wilson
>> M: 0400 12 11 16
>
> As an additional piece of information, Exchange ActiveSync accounts synced
> to the same devices do not exhibit this behaviour when no-invitee
> appointments are created in e.g. Outlook.
>
> Simon

OK, another update - with two devices on the same Horde account, when
you edit the appointment on one device to remove the invitee, which
fixes it for that device, that obviously initiates a re-sync.
Re-syncing the appointment back through Horde AS to the other device
then resets the second device's state to have the originator as an
invitee again. So fixing it on one device breaks it on the other one,
and vice versa.

Generating an invitee-free invitation on one of the iOS devices works
fine for THAT device. No invitee is added. But when it syncs through
Horde AS to Kronolith and back down to the other device, the organiser
is added as an invitee, and the problem re-occurs.

Simon

--
Simon Wilson
M: 0400 12 11 16