[horde] Error sending email thru GMail after password change

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Sun Feb 24 05:05:20 UTC 2013

Quoting Louis-Philippe Allard <lp.allard.1 at gmail.com>:

> Michael M Slusarz <slusarz <at> horde.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>> > There was an error sending your message: Failed to set sender:
>> > xxxxxxx <at> gmail.com [SMTP: Invalid response code received from server
>> > 530, response: 5.5.1 Authentication Required. Learn more at 5.5.1
>> > http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=14257
>> ng6sm3741423igc.7
>> > - gsmtp)]
>>
>> Have you setup correctly to authenticate to the Gmail SMTP server in
>> backends.php?
> [...]
>
> Of course not... I did not maintain or fiddle with Horde's config in
> ages.  In
> backends.php, I did not change anything.  I use hordeauth=true
>
> in backends.php I have:
>
> $servers['imap'] = array(
>     // ENABLED by default
>     'disabled' => false,
>     'name' => 'GMail IMAP',
>     'hostspec' => 'imap.gmail.com',
>     'hordeauth' => true,
>     'protocol' => 'imap',
>     'port' => 993,
>     // Plaintext logins are disabled by default on IMAP servers (see RFC 3501
>     // [6.2.3])
>     'secure' => 'ssl',
>     'maildomain' => '',
>     // 'smtphost' => 'smtp.gmail.com',
>     // 'smtpport' => 587,
>     'cache' => false,
>
> So the actual password is NOT in backends.php.  The way its configured, I
> believe Imp uses my Horde login to authenticate for sending emails.

I have no idea how/why you are using Gmail's SMTP server since it
isn't configured correctly in IMP (not only is smtphost and smtpport
commented out, those options no longer exist).

> So what should I do???

You'll probably have to look directly at the code in PEAR's Net_SMTP
to determine what authentication information it is sending to the SMTP
server (if you do not have access to the SMTP server itself).  I just
added SMTP debugging to IMP 6.1.0, but that would still not be useful
for you since Net_SMTP's debug output does not debug any details about
the authentication commands anyway.

I can verify that SMTP authentication works fine for me.  E.g. using
SMTP auth=true with my local SMTP server (which uses the same
username/password as the IMAP server), I see the following:

Feb 23 21:58:56 bigworm.curecanti.org postfix/smtpd[3075]: connect
from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
Feb 23 21:58:56 bigworm.curecanti.org postfix/smtpd[3075]: 2AB896A07E:
client=localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1], sasl_method=LOGIN,
sasl_username=slusarz

michael