[horde] Fwd: [Tickets #12069] Re: Kronolith meetings don't show Organizer

Simon Wilson simon at simonandkate.net
Sat Mar 2 02:17:52 UTC 2013

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>
>> Quoting simon at simonandkate.net:
>>
>>> Anyway, moving on... is there a way to "+1" feature requests or
>>> bugs or similar, as some places have, to provide opportunity for
>>> your user community to give input on what they think important?
>>> How do you prioritise what is in the queue and is getting
>>> attention? Do you publish this information?
>>
>> We prioritize things pretty much the way I already described them.
>> While I can't speak for other developers, I'm sure we all do
>> similar prioritizing for the code we are responsible for.
>
> For the record: if there is an active bug report and/or enhancement
> request open on bugs.horde.org that has existed for more than a few
> days (read: it has been reviewed by at least one developer and not
> rejected), this is all the indication needed that the project agrees
> that something needs to be fixed/improved.
>
> Adding a '+1' comment that is NOT followed by either "Here is a
> patch...", or "Here is how you can duplicate...", or (ideally) "Here
> is funding..." is borderline spam.  We already know and agree there
> is an issue so this kind of comment provides no further information
> (or incentive) to look at the ticket further.
>
> michael

Michael - firstly please take this in the spirit it is intended: not
combative, just trying to challenge your stated views...

Your response is completely from YOUR perspective. Horde exists for
real users, not developers. You guys develop and write it for us who
use it, many of us in small environments with only a handful of users
like me (for which as already stated I and many others are grateful).
Those of us who take the our own usually unpaid time (as is usually
yours, I get that too) to report bugs don't know that just because a
bug has been logged that it has been looked at, reviewed and not
rejected - how can we if you don't take the 30 seconds to hit
"Comment" and type something like "Noted, investigating"? Sorry, but
zero response is not "indication that the project agrees that
something needs to be fixed". If someone speaks to you, do you expect
them to assume that if you don't reply you agree with them? If that is
the official Horde position, then this attitude just makes me less
likely to bother reporting bugs, and I doubt that I am the only one in
that boat. Classing follow-ups from people adding their comments who
don't necessarily fix it for you as "borderline spam" is short-sighted
and offensive. There is a large difference between one person having
an issue and multiple people having the issue, whether or not the
extra reporters provide fixes or finance. There is a bug I reported 2
weeks ago that has had no response - you are saying that means it has
been "agreed that something needs to be fixed". Then please take the
time to note that it has been looked at, and convince me that I am not
wasting my time reporting bugs. Or not... :-/

I'm no dummy in this stuff, I am a highly qualified 15+ year IT
manager with experience managing enterprise systems like Peoplesoft,
including teams of developers, project managers, on major business
transformation programs, etc. One of my main life and career learnings
is that taking the time to keep stakeholders informed and engaged is
NEVER wasted time. It is unfortunately something that many technical
people don't see the value in.

If you don't see those of us out here as stakeholders in Horde,
whether or not we financially contribute, then I think that is your
loss not ours.

My opinion.

Simon.

--