[horde] AS email not current

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Mon Mar 4 15:39:38 UTC 2013

Quoting Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>:

>>> I doubt it, though I'll look at it if you send it me. The device
>>> is not being told to remove the email, so it won't be in the log.

>>> Not really. The email is obviously being removed from your INBOX
>>> since you no longer see it in IMP (or other MUA).

>>> This happens in one of two ways depending on the features of your
>>> IMAP server. If you don't support CONDSTORE or per-mailbox MODSEQ
>>> values (which, if I remember right from looking at your log, is
>>> your case) - we basically compare the UID list that we have cached
>>> in the ActiveSync state with what the IMAP server returns as being
>>> present in the mailbox. Anything not listed in the IMAP server's
>>> list of UIDs, but present in the ActiveSync list is removed from
>>> the device.

>>> It doesn't matter. From the point of view of ActiveSync, the
>>> message is just vanished from the INBOX (or whatever folder we are
>>> talking about). Adding it to the Deleted Items/Trash/Whatever
>>> folder is a separate operation.
>>>

>>> --
>>> mike
>>>

>> Thanks Mike. You know how much I hate it when things start working
>> by themselves with no change????? Lots.
>>
>> I tried today in Outlook with an IMAP connection to my mailbox.
>> Deleted some emails. When my iOS devices next connected, the
>> mailbox changes (deletions) were correctly sent through. So that is
>> with both Apple Mail and MS Outlook 2010 that deletions in other
>> MUAs are correctly sync'ed through AS.
>>
>> Then tried in Imp again. And it updated. :-O
>>
>> Man I hate that.
>>
>> I haven't changed ANYTHING.
>>
>> Anyway, apologies for the noise, I'll monitor and see if it reoccurs.
>>
>> Simon.
>>

> I spoke too soon. It was updating automatically for a while, then
> stopped again.
>
> At this stage I have one email that ActiveSync thinks is there but
> that isn't.
>
> I have confirmed that the email does NOT exist in the Cyrus
> partition, so the IMAP delete has successfully completed.
>
> Is there any way to see what UIDs ActiveSync has cached, and what it
> is getting from IMAP to compare?

The former is available in the sync log, as part of the data that is
printed when saving the mailbox state. The latter is probably
available via the IMAP debug log (or performing Horde::debug()
statements in the relevant places in the code in
Horde_ActiveSync_Imap_Adapter::.

> I then deleted a second email from Imp, and it also hung up...
> deleted OK on the Cyrus partition, but AS still thinks it's there.
>
> Third email deleted then from Outlook - and it also hung up... as
> per last one, gone in Cyrus, AS still thinks it's there.
>
> Sounding to me like AS caching something incorrectly reading the
> Cyrus list. Could it be related to bug 11115?

No idea. Does it go away if you implement the workaround mentioned in
the bug report (or upgrade your IMAP server)?

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org