[horde] Recommended Apache config

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Apr 2 16:24:53 UTC 2013

Quoting Vilius Šumskas <vilius at lnk.lt>:

>> > Regarding .htacess vs httpd.conf file I suppose the documentation
>> > talks about administration global settings. When settings need to be
>> > adjusted per application level .htaccess files are the only option
>> > to have a good out-of-the-box experience. I suggest to *not* try to
>> > merge them because it is too much work. A) the performance
>> > difference is negligible, b) they will be recreated on next "pear
>> > update" anyway, c) you would need to follow .htaccess changes as
>> > Horde versions progresses and apply them to your configuration.
>>
>> That's exactly the kind of pointers which should go to the documentation.
>
> Yes, into Apache documentation, or into PEAR management documentation :)
>
> This is not Horde specific. Any other web application which needs to
> use .htaccess files have exactly the same installation issues.

This seems like something better suited for the wiki.  Since:

1.) This is Apache specific
2.) Not everybody is using Apache

(Aside to #2: Apache is most definitely not the preferred webserver to
use for a PHP installation, especially if using mod_php.  If
performance is a concern, other webservers are much better - and any
webserver would benefit by using a FastCGI implementation instead.
Monolithic Apache + mod_php is so 2002.)

michael