[horde] Recommended Apache config

lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
Tue Apr 2 19:20:15 UTC 2013

>>> That's exactly the kind of pointers which should go to the documentation.
>>
>> Yes, into Apache documentation, or into PEAR management documentation :)
>>
>> This is not Horde specific. Any other web application which needs
>> to use .htaccess files have exactly the same installation issues.
>
> This seems like something better suited for the wiki.  Since:
>
> 1.) This is Apache specific
> 2.) Not everybody is using Apache

Not really: Horde (Nag) needs special URL rewriting provided by the
Webserver of choice. This is mostly done by loading/activating some
additional module and configuring it. This should be documented at
least with a pointer where to look for. "In case of apache have a
loook at mod_rewrite and for the settings have a look at the .htacces
files" and so on. With this one get the chance to search for something
useful and not need to poke around blindly because it simply does not
work.

> (Aside to #2: Apache is most definitely not the preferred webserver
> to use for a PHP installation, especially if using mod_php.  If
> performance is a concern, other webservers are much better - and any
> webserver would benefit by using a FastCGI implementation instead.
> Monolithic Apache + mod_php is so 2002.)

This migth be true, but has nothing todo with the undocumented
requirements. As said at least a pointer what to look for should be in
place.

Regards

Andreas