[horde] Recommended Apache config

Vilius Šumskas vilius at lnk.lt
Tue Apr 2 19:40:51 UTC 2013

> Zitat von Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>:

>>> Yes, into Apache documentation, or into PEAR management documentation :)
>>>
>>> This is not Horde specific. Any other web application which needs
>>> to use .htaccess files have exactly the same installation issues.
>>
>> This seems like something better suited for the wiki.  Since:
>>
>> 1.) This is Apache specific
>> 2.) Not everybody is using Apache

> Not really: Horde (Nag) needs special URL rewriting provided by the
> Webserver of choice. This is mostly done by loading/activating some
> additional module and configuring it. This should be documented at
> least with a pointer where to look for. "In case of apache have a
> loook at mod_rewrite and for the settings have a look at the .htacces
> files" and so on. With this one get the chance to search for something
> useful and not need to poke around blindly because it simply does not
> work.

>> (Aside to #2: Apache is most definitely not the preferred webserver
>> to use for a PHP installation, especially if using mod_php.  If
>> performance is a concern, other webservers are much better - and any
>> webserver would benefit by using a FastCGI implementation instead.
>> Monolithic Apache + mod_php is so 2002.)

> This migth be true, but has nothing todo with the undocumented
> requirements. As said at least a pointer what to look for should be in
> place.

And what if a user uses IIS? Or any other webserver? You cannot expect
all of the configurations to be described in *installation* file. Yes,
you  can gather a knowledge base for different installation types with
specific Horde issues regarding different cases but as
Michael  M  correctly pointed out there is a Wiki/FAQ for that (which
is by the way referenced in README file). Moreover,  the FAQ is using Wiki format to encourage such additions by
others.

The  *installation*  instructions  should  be as simple and brief as
possible. For what it's worth IMHO they are too large as they are now.

--
Best regards,
 Vilius