[horde] IMAP connection initiated for every click in the user interface

Adi Pircalabu adi at ddns.com.au
Thu May 2 02:20:06 UTC 2013

On Wed, 01 May 2013 19:29:30 -0600
Michael M Slusarz wrote:

> > So far I've seen the following behaviour: every time the logged in
> > user clicks anything in the webmail, even when it's not directly
> > related to the email part at all, horde connects to the memcache
> > server, the to the IMAP one, then back to the memcache server.
>
> I'm guessing one of three things:
>
> 1) You are using standard view.

I'm struggling to figure out where to check this :)

> 2) You have "Notify on new mail" active.

I was using this, indeed. As soon as I disabled it the interface became
more responsive due to the number of IMAP connections dropping. However,
once disabling this option Horde stopped checking for new mail every 5
minutes, as set up.
Is it me misunderstanding this feature? When capturing the traffic to
the IMAP server with "Notify on new mail" enabled I saw Horde
authenticating and polling each IMAP folder like this for every click:
. STATUS "INBOX" (RECENT)
. STATUS "INBOX.zzz-lists.horde" (RECENT)
... and so on.
How is this new mail feature working?

> 3) You are using IMAP authentication.  This is almost certainly not
> what you want.

In the "Authentication Settings" page I have $conf[auth][params][app]
set to 'imp', which looks like it's using IMAP. We're trying to set up
Horde/IMP to access frontend Dovecot IMAP servers acting as POP/IMAP
proxies for Courier-IMAP servers running in the backend. Dovecot
doesn't store the credentials, but passes the authentication request to
the appropriate IMAP server, based on the pair "username <> backend
server".
What other options do we have for our scenario to further improve the
responsiveness?

Thanks,

--
Adi Pircalabu