[horde] IMAP connection initiated for every click in the user interface

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu May 2 02:46:40 UTC 2013

Quoting Adi Pircalabu <adi at ddns.com.au>:

> On Wed, 01 May 2013 19:29:30 -0600
> Michael M Slusarz wrote:
>
>> > So far I've seen the following behaviour: every time the logged in
>> > user clicks anything in the webmail, even when it's not directly
>> > related to the email part at all, horde connects to the memcache
>> > server, the to the IMAP one, then back to the memcache server.
>>
>> I'm guessing one of three things:
>>
>> 1) You are using standard view.
>
> I'm struggling to figure out where to check this :)

On the login page, you choose between Dynamic, Standard, Smartmobile,
or Minimal.

>> 2) You have "Notify on new mail" active.
>
> I was using this, indeed. As soon as I disabled it the interface became
> more responsive due to the number of IMAP connections dropping. However,
> once disabling this option Horde stopped checking for new mail every 5
> minutes, as set up.

You probably disabled the incorrect preference.  Disable
'newmail_notify', NOT 'refresh_time'.

> Is it me misunderstanding this feature? When capturing the traffic to
> the IMAP server with "Notify on new mail" enabled I saw Horde
> authenticating and polling each IMAP folder like this for every click:
> . STATUS "INBOX" (RECENT)
> . STATUS "INBOX.zzz-lists.horde" (RECENT)
> ... and so on.

This is the IMAP code used to poll mailboxes.  Unfortunately, you have
an older IMAP server and can't take advantage of the new LIST-STATUS
feature, which greatly reduces the overhead of polling.

Not to mention, you should NEVER use "Poll all folders for new mail."

>> 3) You are using IMAP authentication.  This is almost certainly not
>> what you want.
>
> In the "Authentication Settings" page I have $conf[auth][params][app]
> set to 'imp', which looks like it's using IMAP. We're trying to set up
> Horde/IMP to access frontend Dovecot IMAP server

This is correct.  Regardless, I think I misspoke here anyway.  Even if
using IMAP authentication, I believe we now cache the IMAP
authentication results so the IMAP server is not pinged on every
pageload (this is the way it used to work in some ancient version of
Horde).

michael