[horde] IMAP connection initiated for every click in the user interface

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed May 8 23:00:37 UTC 2013

Quoting Luis Felipe Marzagao <lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com>:

> Okay, I'll take a look into imapproxy. I think horde will still make
> a connection for every single click, but at least it won't be
> talking to the actual IMAP server, but to the cache.

This is an entirely inaccurate understanding of what imapproxy does.
Imapproxy is *NOT* a cache.  It is used to minimize the overhead in
creating an IMAP connection.  FWIW, Timo - the author of Dovecot -
tells me that you probably won't see any difference if using a recent
version of Dovecot, since it has been optimized to start sessions
quickly.

Horde additionally can take advantage of a previous proxied connection
to slightly optimize the connection by not sending some initialization
commands.

But a connection to imapproxy = a connection to the IMAP server for
purposes of Horde (the only way it wouldn't is if we somehow connected
to the imapproxy server and then didn't issue any commands.  But that
doesn't happen).

michael