[horde] IMAP connection initiated for every click in the user interface

Luis Felipe Marzagao lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com
Wed May 8 23:29:31 UTC 2013

Em 08-05-2013 20:00, Michael M Slusarz escreveu:
> Quoting Luis Felipe Marzagao <lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com>:
>
>> Okay, I'll take a look into imapproxy. I think horde will still make
>> a connection for every single click, but at least it won't be talking
>> to the actual IMAP server, but to the cache.
>
> This is an entirely inaccurate understanding of what imapproxy does.
> Imapproxy is *NOT* a cache.

Ok, then they should change their home page, because they state it's "a
caching IMAP proxy server intended for use with webmail clients that
cannot maintain persistent connections to an IMAP server" (
http://www.imapproxy.org/index.html)

> It is used to minimize the overhead in creating an IMAP connection.
> FWIW, Timo - the author of Dovecot - tells me that you probably won't
> see any difference if using a recent version of Dovecot, since it has
> been optimized to start sessions quickly.

Yes, this guy has made some tests and he also states dovecot does not
need imapproxy:

http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2012-February/063666.html

> Horde additionally can take advantage of a previous proxied connection
> to slightly optimize the connection by not sending some initialization
> commands.
>
> But a connection to imapproxy = a connection to the IMAP server for
> purposes of Horde (the only way it wouldn't is if we somehow connected
> to the imapproxy server and then didn't issue any commands.  But that
> doesn't happen).

Things are clearer now, thanks.