[horde] IMAP connection initiated for every click in the user interface

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Thu May 9 19:45:11 UTC 2013

Quoting Luis Felipe Marzagao <lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com>:

> Em 08-05-2013 20:00, Michael M Slusarz escreveu:
>> Quoting Luis Felipe Marzagao <lfbm.andamentos at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Okay, I'll take a look into imapproxy. I think horde will still
>>> make a connection for every single click, but at least it won't be
>>> talking to the actual IMAP server, but to the cache.
>>
>> This is an entirely inaccurate understanding of what imapproxy
>> does.  Imapproxy is *NOT* a cache.
>
> Ok, then they should change their home page, because they state it's
> "a caching IMAP proxy server intended for use with webmail clients
> that cannot maintain persistent connections to an IMAP server" (
> http://www.imapproxy.org/index.html)

It is a "cache" in the sense that it caches the TCP/IP connection.
But your previous e-mail was using "cache" in the terms of "data
caching", which was not correct usage.

Additionally, there is an option in imapproxy to cache SELECT
statements, so it does contain at least some data caching features.
But we don't require that, and I personally have found it to be buggy
and/or not that useful.

michael