[horde] Proxy errors to downstream Horde server

Arjen de Korte arjen+horde at de-korte.org
Mon Jun 10 12:46:21 UTC 2013

Citeren Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>:

> ----- Message from Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org> ---------
>    Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 14:23:40 +0200
>    From: Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>
> Subject: Re: [horde] Proxy errors to downstream Horde server
>      To: horde at lists.horde.org
>

>> Citeren Simon Wilson <simon at simonandkate.net>:
>>
>>> A quick config change to the proxypass timeout with
>>> "connectiontimeout 300 timeout 300" makes no discernable
>>> difference, so even with 5 minutes timeout I am still getting just
>>> as many of the 502s.
>>>
>>> How long should the ping process take? and how do I identify when
>>> it starts finished in the device log?
>>
>> It can take up to $conf[activesync][ping][heartbeatmax] seconds
>> (which can be 59 minutes or 3540 seconds max). Usually, it will be
>> lower though (depending on the client), with a minimum of
>> $conf[activesync][ping][heartbeatmin] seconds.
>>
>>> From what I can see a pid is held from the auth request at the
>>> start of a PING through to that pid disappearing from the logs for
>>> between 2 and 4 minutes.
>>
>> That shouldn't happen.
>>
>>> Or is there something else that it continues to do that needs to
>>> be kept alive for the PING request?
>>
>> Yes. It keeps monitoring the folders every
>> $conf[activesync][ping][waitinterval] seconds for changes and if it
>> finds any, will report that back to the client. The client in turn
>> will run a SYNC then. After that (or in the absence of changes) the
>> device will initiate a new PING and all starts over again. So
>> generally, for any ActiveSync device that is active, you'll see a
>> process running on your server with a connection open to your IMAP
>> server.
>

> Thanks (again) :) Arjen.
>
> So my max is set to 2700 - should I have connectiontimeout / timeout
> on the proxy set to that?

I would say, at *least* that. You definitly don't want your proxy to
take the initiative to terminate a connection, before your client does.

> And any impact on resources on the proxy server, holding processes
> for that long?

That largely depends on the number of connections your proxy can
handle. It will need to keep two connections open per client (one to
the client, one to the server). If that is going to be a problem,
largely depends on the size of your userbase (the number of
simultaneous connections it should proxy) and whatever other
activities are running on that box. Unless you have thousands of
users, I wouldn't worry about it.