[horde] Excessive Weather API calls

Simon Wilson simon at simonandkate.net
Tue Jun 25 09:20:18 UTC 2013

>>> I was using wunderground for weather information on the Horde
>>> portal, but kept getting pinged by them for excess usage (over 500
>>> calls per day). We tried resetting the API key in case it had been
>>> compromised, but that did not reduce the calls, so it was my Horde
>>> system that was calling it. This was during a period when we were
>>> all away and no-one was actually logged into the system at all -
>>> other than via AS connections.
>>>
>>> As I was running out of raindrops (their credit system for
>>> over-use) I swapped today to use worldweatheronline, registering
>>> for a key. In just over 6 hours, almost 300 calls have been made.
>>> This is despite the fact that I only had the Horde portal open
>>> when I was testing it... and even then it is set to refresh once
>>> per hour only. I might have called it 5 or 6 times whilst testing
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Something appears to be triggering weather API calls on a far more
>>> regular basis than should be the case...
>>>
>>> free v1 search.ashx	275	(98%)
>>> free v1 weather.ashx	5	(2%)
>>>
>>> The only thing that happens that regularly on my Horde system is
>>> AS activity...
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Simon
>>>
>>> --
>>> Simon Wilson
>>> M: 0400 12 11 16
>>
>> Besides that those calls should theoretically be cached, any chance
>> that you have the weather forecast included in your calendar?
>
> Provided that you have one. Could it be you have no
> $conf[cache][driver] configured? Using Weather Underground without
> one will quickly exceed the volumes for free accounts.

Thanks Jan and Arjen.

Weather is not included in calendar.

Caching was disabled when I was having issues with APC a couple of
weeks ago - probably about the time I started getting the warnings
actually. There has been so much change recently with updates, bug
fixes, it's hard to keep track of it all sometimes!

It's not been noticeably slower without the caching, so I didn't worry
about re-enabling it. Is $conf[weather][params][lifetime] dependent on
a $conf[cache][driver] being set?

What dependencies are required for a Distributed Hash Table server -
just Horde_HashTable?

Thanks
Simon.

--