[horde] H3 to H5

ANANT S ATHAVALE asa at isac.gov.in
Mon Jul 8 11:40:51 UTC 2013

----- Message from simon at simonandkate.net ---------
    Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 11:11:23 +0000
    From: simon at simonandkate.net
Subject: Re: [horde] H3 to H5
      To: ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>
      Cc: horde at lists.horde.org

> Quoting ANANT S ATHAVALE <asa at isac.gov.in>> ----- Message from Arjen
> de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org> ---------
>>   Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2013 10:43:07 +0200
>>   From: Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>
>> Subject: Re: [horde] H3 to H5
>>     To: horde at lists.horde.org
>>

>>> Please do not top-post.

>>> RHEL 6 is almost three years old and ships with php-5.3.3. There
>>> have been many reports on this mailinglist with PHP related
>>> errors, which have been solved in later versions. Expect that if
>>> you report problems, invariably you will be told to upgrade to a
>>> more recent version of PHP first.
>>
>> I also had this doubt.  I hope, there may be somebody who may be
>> maintaining latest PHP rpms for RHEL 6.  I have used cyrus rpms
>> from invoca.ch for RHEL 6 and is working fine.  Similarly there may
>> be somebody who is doing it for PHP.  I need to find out.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Anant.
>>
>> ----- End message from Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org> -----

>> Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any
>> attachments, is for
>> the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
>> privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
>> distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
>> contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
>> message.

>>> RHEL 6 is almost three years old and ships with php-5.3.3. There
>>> have been many reports on this mailinglist with PHP related
>>> errors,  which have been solved in later versions. Expect that if
>>> you report  problems, invariably you will be told to upgrade to a
>>> more recent  version of PHP first.
>>
>> I also had this doubt.  I hope, there may be somebody who may be
>> maintaining latest PHP rpms for RHEL 6.  I have used cyrus rpms
>> from  invoca.ch for RHEL 6 and is working fine.  Similarly there
>> may be  somebody who is doing it for PHP.  I need to find out.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Anant.
>>
>> ----- End message from Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>
>
> I am running CentOS 6.4 with stock PHP 5.3.3, and whilst I have had
> a couple of minor issues it has not been any major dramas.
>
> Simon.

----- End message from simon at simonandkate.net -----
This is the information I got from Redhat. And PHP 5.4 is part of it.

Red Hat Software Collections 1.0 Beta Now Available
June 5, 2013

Helps Users Build and Deploy Web Applications Through Dynamic
Languages and Databases

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Team

Red Hat is pleased to announce the Beta release of Red Hat Software
Collections 1.0. Red Hat Software Collections 1.0 delivers the latest,
stable versions of some of the most popular web development languages
and open source databases for use with Red Hat Enterprise Linux. It
features a three-year life cycle and is the first in a series of
planned releases designed to allow developers to take advantage of new
capabilities faster as they build and deploy modern, enterprise-ready
web applications.

The success of today’s enterprise is dependent upon developers’
ability to remain agile, flexible and ready to incorporate new
technologies, even as they take on additional responsibilities as new
roles like DevOps emerge and evolve. With Red Hat Software
Collections, developers can build and deploy applications on Red Hat
Enterprise Linux with the confidence that their efforts will be backed
by long-term support. In addition, Red Hat plans a frequent release
cadence for Red Hat Software Collections, providing developers with
updated runtime components on which they can create new features and
capabilities.

Red Hat Software Collections 1.0 Beta includes access to the latest
stable versions of the following dynamic languages:

     Ruby 1.9.3 with Rails 3.2.8, which delivers substantial
performance improvements for web-based applications. This results in
faster load times, improved unicode support and threading, and a large
collection of ruby gems.
     Python version 2.7, which includes new unit test features, faster
I/O, and tools and back-ported features from Python 3 to make future
migration easier.
     Python version 3.3, which offers significant improvements in
language consistency, Unicode performance, imports, and distribution
of packages.
     PHP version 5.4, which includes new language syntax, improved
performance and reduced memory consumption, and a built-in web server
in CLI mode to simplify development workflows and testing.
     Perl version 5.16.3, which includes improved unicode support,
performance enhancements, new debugging options, enhanced security,
and a number of new and updated modules.
     Technology Preview of node.js version 0.10, which delivers an
easy to use module for handling streams, better error handling with
domains, and performance improvements for web application development.

Red Hat Software Collections 1.0 Beta also includes access to the
latest stable versions of the following runtime databases:

     MariaDB version 5.5, which introduces an easy-to-adopt
alternative for MySQL for Red Hat Enterprise Linux users. Binary
compatibility allows MySQL users to drop-in MariaDB without converting
data files.
     MySQL version 5.5, which offers performance, scalability, and
usability enhancements.
     PostgreSQL version 9.2, which includes native JSON support,
covering indexes, and significant improvements in replication, high
availability and performance.

Red Hat Software Collections 1.0 Beta is available now for use with
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 to customers and partners with select
active Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server, Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Workstation or developer-related subscriptions.

Active subscribers who are interested in participating can access Red
Hat Software Collections 1.0 Beta on Red Hat Network. View the Red Hat
Software Collections 1.0 Beta release notes for more information.

--
           Regards
            Anant

message.