[horde] ActiveSync: triplicate calendar entries on device

Michael J Rubinsky mrubinsk at horde.org
Tue Jul 16 21:49:28 UTC 2013

Quoting Tom Seeley <horde at tomseeley.co.uk>:

> Quoting Michael J Rubinsky <mrubinsk at horde.org>:
>>
>> If you truly only have one entry like is shown in the portion of
>> the log you made available, I have absolutely no idea what is going
>> on. This means Horde is adding the entry once, but your client is
>> creating it locally multiple times.
>
> truly.  Full log file starts 12 hours before that event gets added
> and is currently still being appended to (over a day later).  a grep
> -c for the event title (tomtestevent) returns 1.
>
> I'm almost entirely certain that this is a relatively recent
> development, although several things have changed recently.  A few
> upgrades to Horde and 1 to Android (4.0 to 4.1)
>

>> I *did* see some oddity with your email though. The heartbeat sync
>> finds a change in an email folder every time it runs, but when it
>> tries to fetch those changes, the change is not returned. The
>> heartbeat sync resumes, finds the change again, etc... This should
>> not be happening. No idea if it's related to your multiple event
>> issue though. Do you use Cyrus by any chance?
>
> nope, dovecot 2.0.9 (Centos 6)

Hm. No idea then. There were some reports that some Cyrus servers were
experiencing similar behavior with the email changes (not the calendar
issue). I develop against Dovecot and haven't seen this locally.

> Comparing the snippet I gave you to what is happening now would
> suggest this isn't happening anymore.  It seems to have fixed
> itself, apparently by doing a full sync:
>
> 2013-07-16T21:06:00+01:00 INFO: [11746] Found 14 message changes in d385f77b.
> 2013-07-16T21:06:00+01:00 INFO: [11746] No PIM changes present,
> returning all messages.

Huh. Ok, I guess some transient error then. Strange.

> Just doing a little experiment, when set to manual sync I only get 1
> entry on my device (even when I sync multiple times), the problem
> only occurs when the device is set to "push", so perhaps the problem
> is related to the issue you saw in the logs?

I doubt it. If you only see the data being sent once to the client
then it's the client that is deciding to enter it multiple times in
it's own database. The data that's being sent looks OK, so I doubt
there is anything Horde can do server side to fix this.

Perhaps you could get access to the device's debug logs and see what
is going on there? There are some tricks to enable this on Android
devices available on http://wiki.horde.org/ActiveSync though no
promises that it will work with your Samsung device.

--
mike

The Horde Project (www.horde.org)
mrubinsk at horde.org