[horde] Authentication issues

Steven Swarts steven at swartsit.com
Tue Jul 23 07:48:55 UTC 2013

On 23/07/2013 3:17 PM, Steven Swarts wrote:

> On 23/07/2013 3:05 PM, Ralf Lang wrote:
>>> Surprisingly I don't have a imp/config/backends.local.php yet. How do I
>>> go about configuring that? Why would the admin account work if it can't
>>> authenticate due to no local backends?
>> Read the info in the backends.php file how to create one.
>> Especially read on "full" and "true" options for authentication.
>>
>> I have no idea why the admin account worked though. Did you actually get
>> to read mail?
>>

> Yeah I'm doing that now.
> Yep works like always, I only provide Horde really for myself but
> every now and again a client needs to use it and now it doesn't work.
> It did prior to Horde 5. I wonder if I had a setting that wasn't to
> standard and now it doesn't work due to compliance.
> So i'm going digging.

Ok so I have set this in my /imp/config/backends.local.php

// IMAP server
$servers['imap'] = array(
     // ENABLED by default; will connect to IMAP port on local server
     'disabled' => false,
     'name' => 'Server',
     'hostspec' => 'localhost',
     'hordeauth' => full,
     'protocol' => 'imap',
     'port' => 993,
     // Plaintext logins are disabled by default on IMAP servers (see
RFC 3501
     // [6.2.3]), so TLS is the only guaranteed authentication available by
     // default.
     'secure' => 'tls',
);

Now it comes back with log in failed.
On another system I did this on command line:

openssl s_client -connect mail.example.com:993

To test if IMAP using TLS actually worked and it did for all the users,
I also NEED to have the full username joe at example.com

My question is now though where do I find the error message in the logs?
I've checked syslog, apache error and access nothing at all in them. Do
I need to turn on Verbose logging somewhere?

Cheers
Steve