[horde] User and authentication problems

info at netfast.biz info at netfast.biz
Thu Jul 25 09:32:47 UTC 2013

  I thought I had this figured out with some hacks to the code, but
what I did isn't working so I am back to trying to get this working via
the GUI admin config.

I want to be able to offer new signups - with
admin authorisation needed

I want to see a list of users

I want all
users who signup and who are approved by the admin to be authorised for
imp as well as horde.

The problems I am having are:

1) even though
new signups are allowed is true, horde is disabling them for some
reason. This is for horde/imp authentication as well as IMAP
authentication. It is only when I try sql authentication, can I see the
signup link and use signups.

2) If I use horde / imp as
authentication, or imap server for authentication, I am not able to see
a list of users, and the email I receive as admin to approve new signups
(I still have to hack - comment out some php that is not working
properly - it forces a redirect from signup page to login page with an
error message

that signups are not allowed!) - when I click on the
approve link, I get a bank page, and cannot login as the new user. This
is for horde/imp authentication as well as IMAP authentication. It is
only when I try sql authentication, can I see the list of users.

So,
my question is:

Given what I want to be able to do with the Horde
Groupware 5.1.1 Webmail edition - fully updated to Horde 5.1.2 and
Horde_Core 2.6.4,

my quesions are:

I.) what authentication method
should I use:

a.) let horde handle authentication with imp chosen?

b.) IMAP authentication? 5If this is the best choice, do I need to se
IMAP server hostname to localhost, or mail.domùain.com , o the IP? What
works best?

c.) try some sql authentication ?

II.) how to get horde
to dispaly signup and forgot password properly (not using a hack -
unless that is the only way. Isn't setting it to true enough?)?

installed his properly I believe following instructions using normal
pear.horde.org channel, Everything is updated. I am running up-to-date
debian wheezy. I installed it in /var/www/horde - and pear is in the
normal location. I am running postfix and dovecot and IspConfig3.

Any
help is appreciated. I can't believe that this is allegedly a product
that works - since I haven't gotten it to work at all unless I use sql
authentication directly into the IspConfig3 db, and I FIRST setup the
email mailbox inside IspConfig3, AND the password I set up for the email
mailbox in IspConfig3 is the same as the one the new user uses when
registering - which is an impossible situation. I would prefer to not
use IspConfig3 mailboxes at all, thus I try to get horde/imp or IMAP
authentication working - but it just doesn't work.

Thank you.

Ed