[horde] VFS inoperable when changing from SQL to NoSQL driver

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Sep 11 18:18:57 UTC 2013

Quoting Arjen de Korte <arjen+horde at de-korte.org>:

> I was just wondering if there was something obvious I forgot to do.
> Apparently not. Since the SQL backend is working fine here, I'm in
> no hurry to switch to NoSQL, so I'll leave it alone. I just vaguely
> remember that NoSQL was suggested to be a better option for VFS than
> SQL (can't remember the reason), so I figured I might try that out.

NoSQL datastores are explicitly designed to handle this kind of large,
blob-ish data.  In a sense, NoSQL was sort of designed as a "smarter"
filesystem - i.e. data storage that allows for more complex queries in
retrieving.

SQL was designed more on the principles of relational calculus.
Storage of large data is sort of an afterthought add-on (and varies
widely between the database providers).  SQL's advantage when it comes
to complex queries across multiple tables.

michael