[horde] v1.2 latin1 to 5.x utf8

Vilius Sumskas/LNK vilius at lnk.lt
Thu Sep 12 05:05:58 UTC 2013

http://drmuey.com/?do=page&id=156

> I can send the horde specific testing we did based on that approach
> if you like, suffice it to say it worked smashingly going from 1.2
> latin1 tables to 5.1.2 utf8.
>
> Thank you for your time!

Approach looks fine however you should not assume that default is latin1.
Various Horde installations could be running cp1257, cp1252, etc. If you
want patches to be accepted into main git tree they should work for most
users out of the box. Also keep in mind, that even though MySQL database
was set to latin1 Horde administrator could have set Horde's charset
parameter to UTF-8. I'm not sure about how MySQL would handle ALTER
statement in that case.

--
   Vilius