[horde] Help configuring Horde Webmail to stop a 550 blacklist

Michael Ruddock michaelruddock at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 19:22:42 UTC 2013

Hello Horde

Can anyone please help me?

*Technical Details*

I have a VPS from 123-Reg.co.uk
It's running Parallels Plesk:

OS: Linux 2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64
Panel version: 10.4.4 Update #52,
last updated at July 3, 2013 03:20 AM

I created a website for a customer.
He asked for email accounts on his domain.
So I created some accounts via the Parallels Panel

Panel > Subscriptions > Open in Control Panel > Mail > Create E-mail Address

lets pretend I created an account called *johndoe at example.com*

All OK

*Problem*

Then I sent an email to say *someone*@hotmail.com account I got the
following error message back:

<*someone*@hotmail.com>: host mx3.hotmail.com[*99*.*99*.*99*.*99*] said: 550
OU-002 (COL0-MC4-F47) Unfortunately, messages from *88*.*88*.*88*.*88*
 weren't
sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their
network is on our block list. You can also refer your provider to
http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors. (in reply to MAIL
FROM command)
N.B: Obviously I have changed the to and from IP addresses!

I got the same error message when I sent an email to my
*someone*@yahoo.comaccount.

But I DON'T get the error message when I send an email to my *someone*@
gmail.com (no problem)

Now here is the strange thing, if I send an email into the email account I
created on my server e.g. *someone**@example.com* from any email account it
arrives into Horde email account no problem.

*What my server provider had to say!*
*
*
*Although we cannot directly help you in removing your listing from
blacklisting sites, we can offer advice on how to guard against
blacklisting.*
*
*
*Usually these blacklists are automatically removed after a period of time
or after following steps.*
* *
*Please see below for advice on email configuration and settings which may
prevent future listings, we recommend you consider the following:*
*
*
*Configuring your mail so that unsent mail is not set to bounce.*
*Check that the server host name is set to the domain name of the mail
server and not a generic name.(for example mail.example.com)*
*Check your reverse DNS records are configured properly. If you don't have
a RDNS set we can create one for you after changing the server hostname.*
* *
*We also recommend setting up a SPF record, this allows you to specify IP
addresses that are legitimately allowed to send email for your domain name.*
* *
*The purpose of this to stop spammers trying to use your domain name.*
*
*
*My problems*
*
*
I don't know how to create a SPF record
I don't know how to set unsent mail to not bounce
I don't know what I am doing, I just expected it to work out the box.

Can anyone please help me?

Cheers

Mike