[horde] asked not the first time: howto visualize message headers

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Wed Oct 23 04:12:40 UTC 2013

Quoting Hanns Mattes <hanns at hannsmattes.de>:

> Hei,
>
> Andreas Schulze <sca at andreasschulze.de> schrieb:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I like to ask the developers just to be sure for myself.
>>
>> horde/imp could mark messages based on imap flags (answered,
>> deleted, marked)
>> or by existence/values of specific message headers (spam, important, signed)
>>
>> I'm interested in using Authentication-Results header (RFC 5451)
>
> obsoleted by RFC 7001
>
>> (No discussion how the header get into the message please. That's out
>> of focus for a MUA)
>> The point is to *show* it to the user somehow.
>
> Why? As far as I read, it'd be completely useless.
>
>> Any ideas or previous discussions on this list?

For basic, this header is always available with the "Show All headers" button.

To always show as a header like To/Cc/Bcc/Subject, you are going to
need to edit a bunch of code for each view.

Although, as Hanns mentions, this is a terrible idea to show to a
user.  The purpose of Authentication-Results should be a binary
decision at the MTA level: if it fails, you should discard (or at
least run through a stricter spam checking algorithm); if it succeeds,
it should be shown to the user without any additional information.
 From a UI/UX standpoint, its useless information for the user and
will only serve to confuse them if shown.

michael