[horde] Couple of Items - Signature When Replying, Not Authorized To Use IMP

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at horde.org
Tue Oct 29 05:35:47 UTC 2013

Quoting Brian Spraker <spraker at yahoo.com>:

> A couple of items that I've ran into now with the upgrade to the
> latest version of Horde 5.
>
> #1 - Signatures when replying.  I understand from previous threads -
> signatures will not show up when making an e-mail and the signature
> is appended once an e-mail is sent.
>
> However, I have individuals complaining that when they reply to a
> message, their signature is appended at the very bottom of the
> e-mail.  They "top post" in an e-mail (which seems to be the most
> common way and most accepted).  In Horde 4 when the signature showed
> up, it would appear at the top of the e-mail and would let the
> person reply just above it.

This is so wrong, I feel I don't even need to discuss it further.
(Not that I use it as an example of "right behavior", but even Gmail
gets this right.)

I'm going to keep the whole top-posting argument out of this.  That's
incorrect behavior in its own right.

But even accepting top-posting, the idea that I would potentially have
to wade through multiple signatures just to figure out the content the
person is responding to makes this argument a non-starter.

As I have mentioned many times before: signatures are the LEAST
IMPORTANT information in any e-mail.  You don't need signature
information 99% of the time.  In the rare case you do, you know where
to find it - at the very bottom of the message.  This information has
no business living with the "interesting" part of the message - the
body.

> With that being said, is there any fix that would ensure that the
> person's signature is appended after their response instead of at
> the very bottom of the e-mail when doing replies and forwards?

No.

michael