[horde] Couple of Items - Signature When Replying, Not Authorized To Use IMP

Simon B simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 10:03:18 UTC 2013

On 29 Oct 2013 07:55, "Simon Wilson" <simon at simonandkate.net> wrote:

> ----- Message from Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org> ---------
>    Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 23:35:47 -0600
>    From: Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at horde.org>
> Subject: Re: [horde] Couple of Items - Signature When Replying, Not
Authorized To Use IMP
>      To: horde at lists.horde.org
>

>> Quoting Brian Spraker <spraker at yahoo.com>:
>>
>>> A couple of items that I've ran into now with the upgrade to the latest
version of Horde 5.

>>> #1 - Signatures when replying.  I understand from previous threads -
signatures will not show up when making an e-mail and the signature is
appended once an e-mail is sent.

>>> However, I have individuals complaining that when they reply to a
message, their signature is appended at the very bottom of the e-mail.
They "top post" in an e-mail (which seems to be the most common way and
most accepted).  In Horde 4 when the signature showed up, it would appear
at the top of the e-mail and would let the person reply just above it.

>> This is so wrong, I feel I don't even need to discuss it further.  (Not
that I use it as an example of "right behavior", but even Gmail gets this
right.)

>> I'm going to keep the whole top-posting argument out of this.  That's
incorrect behavior in its own right.

>> But even accepting top-posting, the idea that I would potentially have
to wade through multiple signatures just to figure out the content the
person is responding to makes this argument a non-starter.

>> As I have mentioned many times before: signatures are the LEAST
IMPORTANT information in any e-mail.  You don't need signature information
99% of the time.  In the rare case you do, you know where to find it - at
the very bottom of the message.  This information has no business living
with the "interesting" part of the message - the body.

>>> With that being said, is there any fix that would ensure that the
person's signature is appended after their response instead of at the very
bottom of the e-mail when doing replies and forwards?

>> No.
>>
>> michael
>>

> One of the things I actually like about Outlook is the ability to turn
off Signature for replies. They know who you are, you are replying, not
sending a new email - signature is rarely needed on replies.

> I hate (as per Michael's comment) reading email trails in Outlook where
people have it set to use Signatures on replies, and trawling through huge
html signatures in the middle of top-posting email trails.